According to news agencies, the drone attack targeting an oil facility in the capital of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) left three people dead. The attack at the city’s international airport sparked a fire.
Several were also injured, suffering minor to moderate injuries.
“No military solution”
In his statement, Antonio Guterres, recalled that attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure are prohibited by international humanitarian law.
.@antonioguterres condemns today’s deadly attack in the United Arab Emirates, claimed by the Houthis. Attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure are prohibited by international humanitarian law. The parties must engage with @OSE_Yemen reach a political agreement. 👉https://t.co/LhNmfqtbUf
— UN Spokesperson (@UN_Spokesperson) January 17, 2022
The Secretary-General also called on all parties involved in the nearly six-year conflict in Yemen to exercise maximum restraint and prevent any escalation amid heightened tensions in the region.
“There is no military solution to the conflict in Yemen“, he repeated, as noted by the UN since the start of the war in 2015.
That year, fighting escalated between a Saudi-led coalition supporting the internationally recognized government – which includes the United Arab Emirates – based in the south, and the armed Houthi movement, which still controls the capital Sana ‘at.
Mr. Guterres also urged the parties to engage “constructively and without preconditions” with his Special Envoy, Hans Grundberg, and its mediation efforts to advance the political process and achieve a comprehensive negotiated settlement to end the conflict.
“Genuine political will” is the key
Just last week, the special envoy told the security Council that “genuine political will, responsible leadership and respect for the interests of the entire population are necessary” to end the fighting and forge a lasting peace.
Meanwhile, the humanitarian crisis remains the worst in the world.
Currently, more than half of Yemen’s population – some 16.2 million people – face acute hunger and 2.3 million children under the age of five are at risk of malnutrition.
Last December, the World Food Program (WFP) warned that it lacked funds to continue providing food aid to 13 million Yemenis.
The agency said that from January, eight million hungry people in Yemen would receive a reduced food ration, while another five million who were at immediate risk of starvation would continue to receive a full ration.
WFP needs $813 million to continue helping the most vulnerable in Yemen until May.