of Maryland and Florida men arrested for assault on law enforcement in January 6 Capitol violation | USAO-DC


A man from Maryland was arrested yesterday and a man from Florida was arrested today for crimes related to the violation of the United States Capitol on January 6, which disrupted a joint session of the United States Congress that was in the process of to determine and count the electoral votes linked to the presidential election.

Uliyahu Hayah, 45, of Silver Spring, Md., And Robert Flynt Fairchild Jr., 40, of Orlando, Fla., Are separately charged with assaulting, resisting or preventing certain officers, among other counts. Hayah is further accused of committing acts of physical violence in a building or restricted land and of civil disorder in addition to other charges. Fairchild is also charged with obstructing formal process and disorderly conduct, among other offenses. The two men made their first court appearance this afternoon.

According to court documents, Hayah was filmed entering the United States Capitol through the Senate wing wearing a camouflage backpack, black headgear and gas mask while wearing an American flag. As alleged, around 2:25 p.m. Hayah was in the front line of the crowd marching against a line of US Capitol police officers in the crypt. Hayah continued through the building towards the House of the House of Representatives, heading towards the area surrounding the President’s Hall moments after Ashli ​​Babbitt was shot. As shown in a publicly available video, Hayah participated in a physical confrontation as law enforcement attempted to escort rioters out of the building. As alleged, he got hold of a Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) officer and pushed him about 10 feet into the crowd. Hayah left the building around 2:57 p.m.

According to the MPD’s Body-worn Camera (BWC) footage, Fairchild was in the western outer plaza of the United States Capitol building during the riot, where he was seen constantly moving up and down. the police line along the security barriers. As alleged, at 1:23 p.m. Fairchild was seen grabbing the security fence and attempting to remove it from the officer’s control, but to no avail. Later, Fairchild was seen pushing with the crowd against the barriers, forcing officers to use their batons and hands to fight back. As alleged, at 2:10 p.m. Fairchild used his body to push through barriers in the line of MPD officers and, five minutes later, helped the crowd remove a barrier removed from the police line. Fairchild was also observed walking through the Senate wing door at around 3:09 pm At approximately 3:27 pm, he was said to have stood by the shattered window of the south outer door and appeared to be taking a video of the crowd. with his phone. At around 3:29 p.m., Fairchild exits the building.

This case is being pursued by the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Counter-Terrorism Section of the National Security Division of the Department of Justice. Valuable assistance was provided by the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia, the District of Maryland, and the Central District of Florida.

The case is being investigated by the FBI’s Washington Field Office, which identified Fairchild as No. 237 in its information search photos, as well as by the Metropolitan Police Department, with assistance material provided by the United States Capitol Police and FBI field offices in Baltimore and Tampa.

In the seven months since January 6, more than 570 people have been arrested in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the violation of the United States Capitol, including more than 170 people charged with assault or obstructs the application of laws. The investigation remains ongoing.

Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit tips.fbi.gov.

The charges contained in any criminal complaint or indictment are allegations. The defendant is presumed innocent unless and until his guilt has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt by a court.


Leave A Reply